Sunday, August 13, 2017

my trees


About fifteen years ago , I found a curly stick on my walk with Dexter, brought it home and stuck it in the dirt. This is the stick now!  The tree is huge, provides bird homes, curly willow for autumn  decorations for the flower shops, as it willingly sheds branches for the taking.
It is beautiful every season, especially when it loses it's leaves. The branches , an interesting tangle of relationship to one another.
Our pipes became clogged one summer , Mr. Man fairly convinced that the willow 's roots were the culprit. As it turns out , it 's roots are shallow and broad, the culprits were the Rhododendrons. 
WHEW, that was a close call for my willow.


The weeping birch has met with more than one chainsaw event! It once was a magnificent umbrella but, like a hairdresser getting carried away scissoring and scissoring until there in one hair left, the wielder of the chainsaw lost track of what he was doing - it was butchery!


My dear old girl, Mrs. Plum, has also been "trimmed" to only four major branches, she is not doing well, though pumped out some delicious fruit this season, houses the crows, jays, and squirrels, I fear her days are numbered.
I reckon the chainsaw enthusiast needs to find another hobby...


The Cherry tree has not been messed with and is doing very well. It was supposed to be a decorative dwarf when it was planted , it is HUGE, loads of cherries, which we leave for the birds.
It seems to be out of danger for the moment.


my relationship with these trees goes deep into my heart. rooted , you could say. 
Having been devastated by the removal of all of the Christmas trees along the drive a few years ago, (still sad) 
I am protective of these four trees.


I will tie ribbons on them before I leave and maybe the chainsaw will have another think about tearing into them when I am gone.

10 comments:

  1. My next door neighbor, a very young man, pulled out one of the most unique camellias I've ever seen and all of the azaleas in his yard. I am so angry and I don't usually get upset about things like this. He's all insistent on native plants but he's not old enough to understand that some things are, if not native, traditional, and it takes years for some of these beauties to achieve full growth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no! That is heartbreaking, what a doofus. I'll bet you could hear them being torn out, too! I heard my trees and wept and wept, and that is when my Jay of four years disappeared, never to be seen again.

      Delete
  2. This reminds me of the song, "I think that I shall never see a poem as lovely as a tree." Your trees are indeed lovely and poetic. Im fascinated by the stick that grew so mighty and strong. There is a metaphor in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure there just might be a metaphor- the stick was totally ignored, never taken seriously. Then BOOM! MIGHTY!

      Delete
  3. Trees can become a part of the family. Loved, enjoyed and mourned when there is illness and/or death. Guys with chainsaws--like boys pushing over snowmen, kicking down block towers. My guy decided to trim the hedge with his--not good. Your trees are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. trees are indeed family members - not so much for the chainsaw man. He would rather level them .

      Delete
  4. It's funny how the "dwarf" cherry turned out to be so huge! I think reverence for trees is bred into our DNA -- especially trees that we plant ourselves. How can we not respect something that lives so long, shares such a substantial part of our lives? I don't know how loggers do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. loggers are like hunters are like oil men like anyone disconnected for the dollar. But you are right, the ones we have for years or even just one year, are like family, loved , honored. Breaks my heart , like losing my dog, when they are chopped down.

      Delete
  5. trees are sentient and it is a CRIME to cut one down or mutilate them.

    ReplyDelete

Walk the dog, autumn falls

No idea what this very large bush is just down the street. Cubby, the dog, found it and pointed it out. I have Cubby while his humans...