Wednesday, July 5, 2017

the tea is a lie



During winter I went to a friend's house , We had flower tea and it was extraordinary! Blossoms tumbled out of the little ball of tea and steeped like a lovely water garden suspended in amber liquid. 
I ordered some on line, the box looked promising!!

This morning I removed one of the tea balls , all tightly woven "by hand", probably by very good looking people with my tea pleasure in mind....


Poured boiling water on it, and waited, and waited, and waited.
TOOOO long





















An hour into this I decided that something was wrong with this tea garden.
I noticed the white string binding the flower to the ball- well, no wonder it can not expand and be free and fabulous- it is BOUND.

I cut the string.




A sad little flower popped up . Not magnificent.
The tea was decent  enough. The tea garden- disappointing ! 

Do not believe boxes! And maybe stick with what you know...(note to self)


I have eliminated quite a few tea pots, keeping some, not because they are exceptional but because each one has acquired some measure of sentimentality , which is the main reason un- cluttering is so difficult! . Brown Betty is the exception as she is used daily- she is the perfect pot, The large white one at the back stays because she is family sized and belonged to Mr. Man's mother. The crazy swirly one was hand carried by a friend long ago, all the way  from Australia.  I rarely use it- I feel that the effort to bring it here has been worthy- she gets to stay. The blue polka dot one I have never used, it pours badly, weighs  about as much as a car- but Erik made it when he was in  school...so, of course it must stay. The little twig pot I have had since I was on the cusp of adulthood- a memorable day in Chinatown with a friend who has since died- he chose it for green tea and for it's clay and design, I have loved it and used it when green tea is in order. 

Though now I usually drink strong black builder's tea with milk please,  no sugar, the little twig pot sits , looking forlorn and I feel guilty, green tea IS  a health elixir. Little twig pot shames me...

If I had to choose one favorite , if I were  absolutely forced, it would be Brown Betty, an all around great gal! Pours well, has a nice stout figure, the perfect size for two in the afternoon.
so that is my tea story for this day, What's yours?




6 comments:

  1. my sister drinks tea, collects teapots. I'm a coffee girl. the only time I drink tea is in the winter sometimes when I'm awake in the night with insomnia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drink both, coffee in morning tea in after noon, but having too many pots seems to be a tea thing , coffee-one pot.

      Delete
  2. We don't even have a teapot, weirdly. I like your little collection, though! Maybe the flower tea will work better now that you know to remove the string?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as well, tea bags are a great invention, no need for a pot! The string held the sad little flower to the ball so when I cut it The whole thing fell apart. I think it was just a faulty ball.

      Delete
  3. Lovely tea story. My mother liked to give tea parties with lace doilies and finger sandwiches and a good silver tea service. It made her very happy. My husband, too, is a tea man. We have a pantry shelf filled with teas of the world, including the flowery one, which does expand into a thing of beauty. Maybe try a different brand? I, however, am a coffee person all the way, preferably Blue Mountain instant--how gauche! But I have a very soft spot for tea drinkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I also drink coffee, in the morning and maybe evening with desert, have been drinking coffee since second grade, it might be a Scandinavian thing. Having lived in England in my youth I developed a CRAVING for tea, good black strong tea especially in the afternoon. We live in the land of roaster up here , coffee land- most of it is exceptional, so tea is a nice sort of "get away", but too many pots! For no good reason!!

      Delete

I had a feeling

Walking around the neighborhood, thinking about how one should always trust that gut feeling telling you to NOT do something or at le...